Tuesday 12 May 2009

Fisherking

"Cruisy, but really confident stuff. Each of their songs paints a strong picture of an act with loads of potential." Richard Kingsmill, JJJ.

“Give me truth, give me truth give me nothin’ but truth. Give me news, give me news, give me bad and the good. Give me something…” Fisherking




Sydney Band Fisherking have been having quite a run lately Representing JJJ Unearthed at the FUSE Festival in Adelaide and there are no signs of slowing down.

Check out some of the songs from their self-titled EP at their myspace while reading what songwriter Sam Stevens has to say about the band:

Define your genre in five words or less

Pop-laden Blues and Roots

Are there any popular bands around at the moment (or in the past) that people could compare you to? Feel free to mix up genres in your answer.

Hmm... It’s been said that we sound a bit like the Beautiful Girls or the John Butler Trio, but I don’t hear it... I reckon we’re the perfect (and by ‘perfect mix’ I mean ‘not perfect’) mix between Ben Harper, Wilco, Coldplay and Paul Simon. How does that work? Not sure, but I like it.

If one was to ignore their ears, what does your music smell, feel, look and taste like?

Ha, I would say that it smells the air-conditioning when you first turn it on. I love that smell. Although, I’ve only ever met one other person in the world that also likes that smell and I married her. So maybe it feels like a Sunday arvo on the beach, smells like sausages and tastes like beer but it’s too hard to look at it because of the harsh Australian conditions.

What has been your favourite gig to date (played by your band)?

One time we played down at the Heritage Hotel in Bulli. It was our first ever headline show and not a very successful strategic move on our part. Anyway, there were about 3 people in the room, George and Bruce and Sue (we took the time to get to know them a little bit). About 15 minutes into our set, a couple booze buses roll up outside and out jump 100 or so people ready to party. We ditched the rest of the set and just jammed on some tasty funk to satisfy the hungry crowd. IT was amazing! It was the first time anyone has ever jumped up on stage to dance on my leg. He was quite the dancer!

What do you think a band has to do these days to succeed?

It’s really hard to know. If you know, I’d love some tips... I mean, there has to be some talent in the band, right? You’ve gotta offer something! A well-written song goes a long way for a band. But there are so many amazing bands out there, especially in Oz, that never seem to get anywhere with their music. Sometimes it seems so hit-and-miss. Have you heard how the band Travis became so successful? When they performed ‘Why does it always rain on me’ for one of the first times, which, by the way, was in a place known for its dry climate, it rained on them. You can’t set that stuff up!

Where do you stand on the issue of Australian Idol and it’s ilk?

There’s some really great things about Idol. It has actually uncovered some pretty good Aussie talent. Except all the ones I like always seem to get voted off! I couldn’t believe it when Brooke Addamo was voted off in this last season. I guess you’ve gotta be the right flavour for the producers, right? You gotta hand it to the contestants, it must be pretty freakin’ scary performing every week in front crowds like, particularly if you’ve never done it before- and then to get voted off. Cold! But Dicko is the greatest thing about that show. I would absolutely love the chance to get some feedback and advice from that guy.

First album you every bought and where you bought it from?

I don’t remember the very first album that I ever bought... it must not have been very significant to me! Buying albums just kind of started to happen, like hair growing on my chest. But I do remember the first song that I fell in love with. It was ‘Down on the Corner’ by Creedence Clearwater Revival. It used be played on TV in the afternoons with this dancing plasticine-dog film clip. It came as part of a compilation cassette tape that you could by from the ABC shop. I was eight and it was amazing. I was so pumped when I finally got it and used to play it non-stop. That and ‘Juicy, Juicy Green Grass’ by Peter Coomb. Both very good songs.

If you were a musical super hero, what would be your name and what special power would you possess?

Easy. I’d be a guitar-wielding hero called Super Mega-CHops Man, fighting for the freedom of all. Have you seen the Eagles of Death Metal film clip for ‘I want you so Hard (boys bad news)’? Well I want that one. My special ability would be to unleash hell from the raw power that is generated whenever I play my guitar. Of course I’d be able to control the amount of power that I unleashed. I could cause total destruction to the enemies of freedom with an angry 80s metal riff or I could simply cause confusion in their minds with a gentle early 90’s love-ballad. OUCH!



What do you love about making music?

Everything. I just dig it. I love creating something from nothing, if you know what I mean. There’s something very true to human nature in that. Humans were created to create (amongst other things...) whatever it may be, buildings, art, families, music, etc. And we were also created to enjoy creation, so I love it when people dig our music! There’s so much satisfaction in doing what you love and being appreciated for it.

What do you hate about the music industry?


There’s so many great bands out there all trying to get people to their shows and listen to their tunes and so few ever seem to make it. It’s a full-time unpaid job! The struggle is hard but you love writing songs and playing shows and you’d never give it up, so what do you do? It’s like a curse! But a fun one...



If you could travel back in time and show one of your musical heroes your stuff, who would it be and why?

Well, I don’t know anything about time travel, except that it’s dangerous. I’ve heard if you go back in time, you could end up causing your own mother-to-be to fall in love with you, creating massive problems for the space/time continuum. Besides, most of my musical heroes are still alive. So I’d organise a dinner party with, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Ben Harper and Lior cause you’ve got all the elements of great song-writing right there around the table. Yep. All great singers. All champions of style. All got some soul.

If you could assassinate one person or band from popular music, who would it and why?

Crazy Frog. Why do you think? NEXT!

Whaddya reckon is the best guitar riff EVER written, and why?

Thunderstuck by AC/DC. Young designed it to be played with one hand so that he could keep the other in the air. That is pretty rock’n’roll...

Do you believe music can make a difference in the world?


Not by itself. The world is too big and complex to be fixed by ‘Love Shack’ alone. Music doesn’t make a difference, people do. When someone has a conviction and bothers to use their talents and abilities to do something about it, that’s when a difference is made, however big or small. Unfortunately we live in a time when it’s easier just to worry about ourselves rather than what happens to others and we pretend that there’s nothing to fix, or at least that there’s nothing we can do to fix it.

You’ve just kidnapped the CEO of a major record label, then bound and gagged him in the boot of your car. What song of yours do you blast back at him to make him sign you? Describe what happens next.

Well first of all, I wouldn’t put him bound and gagged in the boot of my car! That’s awful! I’d put him bound and gagged in the back seat of my car where the stereo sounds better. Then I’d say “Shut up, Jerry” (because that’s his name...) “You’re not going anywhere until you hear this!” I’d throw the CD cover into his face and say “Are you picking up what I’m putting down?”. So then I’d pump one of our tracks ‘Smellin Roses’ over the stereo and he’d love it ‘cause it’s a really good track. We’d untie him and take him to a cafe and buy him a caramel latte and we’d sign the contract for an awesome recording deal. A 90-10 split! We’d get the 90 and he’d get the 10! Yes.

Why should every one come and see your band?

Oh man, what do I say without sounding arrogant? To get out of the house? To try new things? Ha, I definitely think we’re worth the effort! Can I say that?


Famous last words?

“Is it bands or gymnasts?”

No comments: